Monday, February 18, 2008

Humble Pies

blueberry muffins

I'm proud of my baking and when I found some reduced price blueberries in the local Co-op it seemed the easiest trick in the world to create a teatime treat from a favourite muffin recipe and the bargain fruit.

Everything went to plan and the buns came out of the oven golden and fragrant but underneath that deceptively attractive crust was a disaster of considerable ugliness.

The fruit had sunk through the batter to the base of the muffin cases, but worse than that, the berries had deliquesced to an inky sludge that was an indigo blue and didn't look like food at all.

If you closed your eyes and used a spoon to scoop out the soggy bottoms they tasted o.k. but the cakes wouldn't leave the paper whole and even fully cooled were unpleasantly moist.

Pity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi M,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.


Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com