Tuesday, July 21, 2009

All from the Garden


Not really been cooking these last few days again. This is what I've been eating, variations on potato salad with all the main ingredients being home grown and very simply prepared.

To vary tonight's supper, I baked the potatoes and beetroot before chopping up, mixing with a little chopped shallot (not in the picture, I forgot but added it afterwards!) and some blanched skinned broad beans and dressing in a little soya yoghurt with grainy mustard.

Other garden produce based meals are huge pots of leafy greens, leaves from the beets, magentaspreen, thinnings and trimmings, quickly wilted down, chopped and seasoned with pepper and cider vinegar or stews of cubed vegetables simmered in vegetable stock and miso and served almost as a soup with nutritional yeast as a garnish. All rather basic stuff and would be horribly boring except for the joy of picking my dinner minutes before I eat it and knowing that the work is all mine.

I've been working out some new ways of using courgettes too, but I'll save those for another post or there'll be nothing to write about next week. Hope you're all enjoying your summer cooking.

No comments: