Thursday, August 20, 2009

Courgette Bruschetta

courgette bruschetta

I'm almost totally off my food and not that thrilled with anything else for that matter.

This evening, in a vain attempt to catch up with the courgettes I intended to make a zucchini bread or some cup cakes or something. I turned on the oven and slung a couple of potatoes in to start cooking so as not to waste any gas but my enthusiasm ran out at that point. So I made these tasty little snacks instead.

Slice up some day old french bread, baguette or other dry white loaf into neat slices. Brush with oil and lay out in a heavy baking tray. Grate your courgette or young marrow, no need to peel and season lightly with salt and pepper.

Pile the grated vegetable onto the bread slices and top with soy yoghurt mixed with a liberal amount of grainy mustard or flavour it as you will, I happen to particularly like this combination. Drizzle a little more oil over the top of everything and bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes or so until the bread is golden and crispy.

Eat as a snack, light hors d'oeuvre or with potatoes as a full supper. Best with wine.

3 comments:

Rose said...

This looks like an interesting twist on traditional bruschetta. I like the idea of your sauces with soy yogurt and grainy mustard. I'll be trying this one soon.

Thanks for the ideas!

Catofstripes said...

Hi Rose, glad you like it. It was surprisingly good, meaning I wasn't expecting to have anything to blog about! Thanks for commenting.

GarlicBOSS said...

this is just great