Friday, June 18, 2010

One from the vaults

tofu and pea salad

There have, in recent days, been a few recipes that I've noted for further investigation. Well, what am I saying, I have a list of such recipes as long as the arms and legs of several octopuses (I feel sure that should be octopi) but what I meant was that several have bubbled up to the top and made me think I should give them a go immediately.

So, after only 16 days, I've actually tried one of them. I give you Piquant Tofu Salad with Peas and Scallions which I found on the Threemanycooks blog. Apparently it's from a recipe book I don't have "The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone".

Anyway, it sounded just my sort of thing and I've been looking for a cool high protein tasty inclusion for hot summer day meals. Unfortunately I'm disappointed. It's o.k. and it's possible that the substitutions I had to make for missing ingredients like umeboshi vinegar just weren't up to scratch but I doubt it - I'm familiar with all the items I substituted and really don't think that's the problem. The recipe called so much salt and acid (from olives, capers, the plum vinegar, lemon juice) to flavour the tofu and peas that one might have been eating cardboard.

So call this one a fail, but by all means give it a go if you like the basic idea - it is, after all, extremely low fat and nutritious and might go well in a sandwich with a lot of fresh green leaves to offset the over seasoning.

6 comments:

jess_fildespages said...

Too bad it didn't work. It looks like it could be really delicious.

Just out of curiosity via your blog title: do you like cats as much as I do? If so, then we have A LOT in common!

It's nice to meet you too! I am also, a fan of yours!

Catofstripes said...

yes, I am subject to the whims of three cats but I usually blog them on the other blog. Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecatofstripes/sets/72157612900867018/

I think my Raven is a bit like your Lima.

jess_fildespages said...

aww! they could have been separated at birth! I have a soft spot for black cats. I'll make sure to check out the other blog too. What are you doing in France? Have you been living there for a while?

David Hall said...

very nice! A lovely fresh sandwich filling or topping for crispbreads, going to try
Cheers
David

Catofstripes said...

Jessica, we bought a wreck in France with the intention of doing it up and finally moving here permanently. Not sure if that's going to happen but in the meantime I use the land each summer to grow strange vegetables and enjoy the sun. Happy Solstice!

David, watch the seasoning carefully, as suggested in the recipe it's far too coarse. I think some home pickled lactic cucumbers would be enough, use a little of the pickle juice instead of the ume vinegar and lemon juice.

Anonymous said...

Octopodes, for the pedantic.

A.