Saturday, July 02, 2011

A Roman Supper

roman supper

I've been dipping into recipe books looking for inspiration for the menus for the pop-up restaurants in the autumn. The first date is set, for Nottingham on the last weekend of November and so although it seems a long time ahead I really have to start planning and practising.

Not that this meal is likely to be making an appearance as it's almost painfully simple and homely. It comes in part from the Roman Cookery book I've used before and was appealing enough that when I read the recipe last night I knew it would have to be today's supper.

It's really all about the herbs which flavour the lentils and courgettes and the crispy crunchy texture of the lagana which accompany them. The lentils are cooked with red wine and stock and an onion, spiced with cumin and anise (although I substituted fennel seeds) and then made greenly aromatic with fresh oregano and parsley. The courgettes are lifted with lemon juice, coriander leaf and fresh basil. The recipe for the fried breads is here

The work in deciding on possible dishes for the autumn events continues and isn't as easy as just sticking pins into recipes and going with fate. The produce will be different in November which is practically winter after all, and there's a need to please more of the people more of the time.

Which is where I'm hoping anyone reading will help me. If you were going for a meal at a new vegan restaurant near you what would you hope to find on the menu, what's your favourite eating out food? Even if you usually read this in a reader I'd be really grateful for your comments.

3 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

look nice!! gloris

me, Mavis said...

Hello! I have been following for a bit (in a Reader) and offer my comment on what I'd like to find when eating out. I think a thick slice of crumbly crust vegan quiche with a super crunchy salad would be wonderful. ...something different in the salad -- maybe with jicama or radish. Hope this is helpful.

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Gloria and Mavis. No wrong answers here, I'm really keen to find out what people like to eat. Thanks for responding.