Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Trio of Beetroots

trio beets 2
A starter trio of Roasted Beetroot Salad en Croute, Tower of Miso Infused Potatoes and Beetroot and a Chilled Borsht Shot.

Not really sure how to write up tonight's exploits. This is served in restaurant style although not, perhaps, to restaurant standards. More difficult than the cooking the presentation was hampered by issues of lack of equipment, no cutters for the stacks, a lack of filtration for the soup, even plating up was difficult with a limited range of plates picked up from junk shops and remaindered stores.

But in the cooking I should have liked to have infused the potatoes in their miso/malt syrup marinade sous-vide (this is something I've never done and am never likely to have the equipment to do) and for some inexplicable reason to do with not getting fryer smells in my hair I chose to shallow fry the croute, a bizarre decision that did nothing for the food.

Finally, food like this demands an audience. Although I tell myself the practise is good for me and the skills will be reusuable it's harder to keep standards high without a sour faced critic waiting at his table for the morsel that will melt his heart. I need to be somewhere to cook for people.

trio beets 1

No comments: