Wednesday, March 04, 2009

MIA

pumpkin and tomato soup

I've been being a bad blogger again, and notice that my stats, always slim, are beginning to melt away entirely. I have been cooking, honestly, some pretty prime stuff too but somehow I never quite get around to the whole photo, edit, write up scene. This probably has something to do with the seasons, it's too dark for easy photography and I'm too cold to want to wait for my dinner.

Here is a case in point. Ridiculously thick tomato and pumpkin soup snapped just as the sun was going down and a cold bowlful at that, plated for the shot while my real supper warmed on the stove.

It's too easy for a proper recipe, just onions and garlic sweated down with plenty of chopped pumpkin (I used one of the last of the Melonette Jaspee De Vendee) and some tinned tomatoes, simmered with some rosemary and a couple of bay leaves until soft, then whizzed with the immersion blender. Season to taste. It's thick and comforting and the sweetness of the squash offsets the acidity of the tinned tomatoes nicely.

No more cooking for a couple of days. Hope to be doing something fancy at the weekend. I may even cook too.

2 comments:

joker the lurcher said...

this looks wonderful! i always make tomato soup with tinned ones - cheaper and easier and it never seems to make it less tasty.

Caroline said...

I think this soup looks really amazing. I'm not much of a soup lover, but the photo is great - I love the swirls you've got on the surface and the shine too! Yum!