Monday, April 27, 2009

Tradition and ritual

It's become something of a habit to indulge in comfort food on the first day of being alone again, and comfort food for me is usually starchy and simple to to cook and eat. My absolute favourite easy meal is some form of savoury rice.

redbeansrice
Red beans and rice, caribbean style

Today is no exception. I had plans for something a little more complicated (although not much more refined) but in the event my inner monster took over and self indulgence was the result.

Chop an onion and some garlic finely and melt down in some olive oil. Add a handful (or two) of rice, long grain or short it makes little difference in this sort of cooking and stir around with the oily alliums. Add some water, the exact quantity depends on how much rice you've used. Don't worry too much, any excess can be simmered off during cooking.

Season with whatever you have. I used some lovage but thyme would be good. Add a chunk of creamed coconut, the sort that comes in little cardboard packages, maybe a sixth of the block. Add salt to taste, I almost overdid it so take care out there. Don't be shy of any other seasonings that are good for you.

Add a tin of red beans. I've become the fortunate recipient of a stack of past their sell by date cans, these beans were only a month or two too old but there are some treats ahead for all of us, just you wait and see! If the beans are packed in that slimy salt and sugar water make sure they're well rinsed before putting them in the pan.

Simmer with a lid on the pan until the rice is cooked and then without the lid for a few minutes if the food seems a bit wet.

I garnished my bowlful with a touch of rocket for the picture but smothered it in a big handful more when I sat down to eat. Oh, and if the picture looks like it was taken on my doorstep, it was. The rain was too intimidating for this striped cat.

À demain.

2 comments:

joker the lurcher said...

my favourite comfort food is rice with grated cheese stirred into it in the pan after the water is absorbed so it melts and goes all gloopy. your version looks a bit healthier!

Catofstripes said...

Joker, I'm not sure this was any more healthy with all that coconut cream in it. There was enough left over for breakfast and lunch today, I think I've satisfied my craving for now!