Monday, September 14, 2009

Flapjack

oaty goodness

I had a whole long story to go with these, as well as my own recipe but for reasons that are best not gone into I'm too cross now to tell it properly. The recipe is a reliable one from The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook, the book of the TV series that informed many of my afternoons spent skiving from school.

Makes 15

75g marg.
2 tbs. golden syrup (about 50g)
75g dark sugar
150g rolled (porridge) oats

Grease a shallow tin, about 18cm square (or line with parchment or ideally both)

Put marg, syrup and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently until all is warmed and dissolved.

Remove from heat and mix in oats.

Spread into prepared tin and press down well.

Bake in a moderate oven 180C for 15-20 minutes. The colour should be just golden but it will burn quickly if you leave it in too long.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for five minutes, then mark into bars. Allow to cool completely before breaking into sections. Store in an airtight tin. Keeps three weeks.

This basic recipe can be gussied up with added dried fruit or coconut flakes if liked.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

This looks so nice :)

I'm looking at ways of getting some more calories into my diet without eating junky things, and I love oats. Personally, I don't think a bit of sugar is something to be afraid of now and then.

Snowy said...

This looks good. Will certainly try it.
I live in France too, but further south in Deux Sevres. Have recently had a veggie friend staying and we found a vegetarian restaurant in St Jean d'Angely. Wow!

Catofstripes said...

Hi Caroline,

I don't think we should be afraid of sugar either, I would much prefer to eat that than artificial sweeteners but it is true that too much sugar will lead to being overweight and is also very bad for the teeth so it's a trade off that has to keep sugar in its place. These flapjacks are delicious as a Sunday treat or to share :-)

Hello snowy,

You are lucky finding a veggie resto. We have one about 3 hours drive away and there are also some snack bars in Caen that claim to be veggie friendly but I haven't tried them. One day, I might even open my own here but there wouldn't be much demand from the French themselves.