Monday, July 12, 2010

Breakfast for Supper

breakfast

I'm not averse to taking supper dishes for breakfast but tonight I decided to reverse the theme and have what most people would call breakfast food for my evening repast.

This is just a fresh fruit variation of the old Bircher-Benner oatmeal dish.

Take a handful of, ideally organic, rolled large oats as simply processed as you can find and soak them for 12 hours (this was overnight in the Swiss Alps) in water or non-dairy milk. I used an oat based milk this time. If you want to have dried fruits in your cereal, raisins or chopped apricots for example, put them in with the oats overnight.

In the morning, grate an eating apple complete with skin and mix it into the soaked oats. Add other fresh fruits and if you like a few chopped nuts or seeds, then top with a couple of teaspoonfuls of soft dark sugar and some more milk to taste. Eat immediately, slowly and enjoy your meal.

2 comments:

jess_fildespages said...

This looks beautiful and delicious...I love the color. I could eat breakfast for dinner everyday and I dont think theres anything wrong with that!

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Jessica, it's becoming one of my favourites.