Tuesday, July 06, 2010

French Breakfast

coffee cup

Had the family visiting for the weekend. Lots of cooking and drinking, not much time for blogging. They've all gone home now.

And now I'm on my own again, with only the cats for company, there's no excuse for failing to share my meals with the bloggyverse again. I give you breakfast!

Actually, I'm not so far subsumed into French culture as to breakfast on a cup of strong coffee and a Gitanes merely. I also had bread and jam.

jam

And I made the jam myself. From apricots.

This is not the entrée to a scholarly exposition on bottling; full of arcane tips from the WI on extracting the pectin, dire warnings of botulism from inadequately prepared jam jars or comfortable intimations of middle class smugness. I chopped up the fruit, removed the stones, applied the commercial jam sugar and stuck the stuff in bottles. You can read up about that sort of stuff anywhere, even on the back of the sugar packet which saves buying books.

But I would recommend you try it, because fresh apricot jam is a step or two closer to heaven even than bought apricot jam and that's pretty damn good.

2 comments:

jess_fildespages said...

This was, possibly, one of my favorite things? I loved waking up and having half a baguette and coffee in a bowl! Brings back lots of memories!

Catofstripes said...

Jessica - I know you left a comment because I had the email but blogger refuses to recognise it! Will try to post it for you later...