Thursday, August 26, 2010

Puff Ball Puff

fungus

I'm sorry it's been so quiet around here. Mostly it's because I'm just eating what's growing and cooking it as simply as possible. There are only so many ways of displaying a plate of potatoes, beans and courgettes before everyone falls asleep from boredom, the eater included.

Anyway, after the heat came the rain and that has proved to be ideal conditions for the Giant Puff Ball, currently known as Calvatia gigantea in botanical terms. Before I get too bored with these as well, and regular readers will be aware of my ambivalence to all things mushroomy, I thought I'd show you a typical presentation.

The Giant Puff Ball is a robust creature and can be chopped up and used pretty much as you would use a soft tofu or aubergine in any of your favourite dishes but I particularly enjoy them sliced and coated in a thin batter before pan frying. They also make damn fine tempura if you're in the mood for a Japanese theme.

Here the cooked slices are served with a garden salad of onions, tomatoes, mild chilli pepper, golden purslane and basil leaves. No need for dressing because of the oil already on the puffball puffs and just a bit of salt and lemon juice to bring out the flavours.

If you get the opportunity do try them, they're really quite special.

3 comments:

Rose said...

I'd love to try some Puff Ball mushrooms. Hopefully someday...that meal looks perfectly delicious.

Anonymous said...

They look really tasty - I'm a vegan in Brittany so lots of fungi around here but they are always so diffcult to identify. I tend to look and wonder but not taste! I read your other blog and want you to know that we think it's great. Couldn't comment on it there it wouldn't let me - not sure why

Catofstripes said...

Hello anon!

Thank you. I'm not sure why you couldn't comment on the other side, perhaps it's because you're anon. I'll check.

Where in Brittany?