Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Fry Pan Pizza

fry pan pizza

I adore pizza and, just at the moment, I'm making all my own bread so there is always a handful of dough around the place ready to go. But I'm also mean and hate to waste gas. I needed lunch and I needed it now but the loaf that was going to justify heating the oven wouldn't be ready to bake for another three hours.

Frying pan or grill pizzas aren't new but less than fond memories of the Scone pizza of Blue Peter fame mean I've always given them a miss. Sadly I can't quite track down the original from the 70s for you but the links will give you the general picture. By the way, the amount of oil in that Delia clip is horrific.

Still, I've been making flat breads for breakfast for a few days now and decided that it was but a small step from that to a flat bread with toppings, which is almost a pizza.

It's not really a recipe; fry off some onions and other vegetables in a little oil for your topping. I used tomato and courgette. When they're cooked to your liking (they get little more than warming from now on) remove to a plate, season to taste and keep hot.

Shape or roll about 200g of proved dough into a nice disk and place in the hot frying pan. You shouldn't need any more oil but use your judgement. Reduce the heat a bit and allow it to cook for a minute or two to seal the bottom. The top will rise up in bubbles.

When it does flip it over. Use a wooden spatula to press down gently on the cooking dough. With luck you should find it swells upwards into a lovely balloon like a pitta bread or khoubz. Allow to cook for two or three minutes to make sure it's cooked through.

Turn it again and then quickly apply your toppings. I had too many in the end with hummous, roasted garlic and pesto as the sauce under my cooked veggies. Next time, I'll just use the pesto by itself. A sprinkle of capers made the final garnish.

Put the lid on the pan and give the pizza a final couple of minutes on a high heat to warm the toppings and crisp the bottom of the dough but be careful not to burn it.

Eat.

**** Update My UK correspondent aka Mr. Stripey has tracked down a link to a Guardian article which references the scone pizza, just when I was beginning to doubt my own recollection, do take a look ***

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Oh, that is a good idea about finishing the whole thing off in a covered frying pan. I'm keen on flatbreads too (my OH and I often do a batch on the BBQ when we have it going, then freeze) and we do make quick lunch pizzas out of them, but normally put the topping on and grill. Your way looks much quicker and more energy efficent. Thanks!