Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Figs



Clearing out the back of a cupboard I found a packet of dried figs. I think these were part of a Mother's Day present given to me by my daughter this year.

The figs were washed in clear cool water and put into a pan with enough fresh water to cover them, a glassful of red wine, the zest and juice of a lemon and a piece of cinnamon stick. They were brought gently to a simmer and kept there for 15 minutes, then the figs and their juice were removed to a serving dish and chilled.

The scent of lemon and cinnamon gave a cosy, out of season, flavour to the kitchen. Comforting on this grey and rainy day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just discovered your lovely blog a couple of days ago, and have added it to my favourites. I haven't been cooking much the last couple of weeks, but when I get back into the swing of it, I'll certainly be trying out some of your recipes.

Ann in Canada

Catofstripes said...

Hello Ann, nice to meet you. Please let me know how you get on with the recipes if you try any.

Thanks for reading.