Friday, May 02, 2008

Icecream and Oranges

iced orange

This is a recipe so stunningly simple and good that I wish I'd invented it, but I didn't and I first learned of it from a vegan recipe book, the name of which escapes me and the authors of which I can't remember, too annoyingly hard to find on Amazon to give them their plug, but if I can find it again I'll come back and edit this post!

Freeze some bananas, about 200g without their skins. When they are frozen hard put them in the sturdy food processor or liquidiser with 50g oil, 100g milk substitute (I like almond or rice for this but the original recipe called for soya), the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of good vanilla extract. That's right, no sugar needed.

Give it all a good processing. The bananas will become a delicious iced puree which you can serve immediately or pop back in the freezer to get harder again. If you leave it a very long time it might be too hard to scoop so remember to get it out half an hour or so before you need it.

Served tonight with a segmented orange but this is good so many ways and the flavourings can be adjusted - I used some brandy in tonight's version as I had no vanilla.

*** UPDATE ***
finally found that cookbook! The Vegan Cookbook by Alan Wakeman and Gordon Baskerville

No comments: