Saturday, June 13, 2009

No recipe required



This is, one way or another, pretty much what I've been eating for the last week.

Vegetable stew, made with some bought and some gathered vegetables, ingredients served with a carbohydrate.

Sometimes the stew is more soupy and I eat it with bread, sometimes I mix the rice or pasta straight into the pan, tonight I made polenta, cooled it in a sheet and then refried sections to top off the vegetables. I haven't done it yet but I suppose the next alternative would be to make some dumplings.

It's reasonably healthy, undeniably cheap and extremely easy to make but it's not haute cuisine or anything approaching innovative cookery. I don't know when my interest in food preparation or recipe creation will return.

3 comments:

Soja said...

Perhaps it's the heat, perhaps it's the moment. I've been living on the same. Even less involved, I've been making the stews in the slow cooker and usually rice in the rice cooker. So tired. But it's healthy, and it is cheap. Hey, and polenta, that even has more than one step - you beat me ;-)

avegancalledbacon said...

A different carb idea for you: I made Bryanna Clark Grogan's farinata the other day and it was delicious, and dead easy. Don't know how easy it is for you to get gram flour, though...?

Catofstripes said...

Hi Soja, maybe it is the heat. I don't have a slow cooker or I would probably use it, if I remembered to start in time. Thanks for commenting.

AVCB - funny you should say that. I've put in a request for a care package from Tesco with gram flour in it because I want to make socca which is the French version of farinata. But it's making me crave a new wood fired oven to make it in ;-)