Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Takeaway

sweet and sour tofu with pineapple fried rice
Sweet and Sour Tofu with Pineapple Fried Rice.

There's a takeaway near where we live in the UK, in Bletchley in fact. I may have mentioned it before, in an area with almost no provision whatsoever for vegetarians or vegans this little gem of a restaurant (they do have some tables but some sort of doom hangs over us and we always have a horrible argument so we've stopped trying to eat there) is almost entirely vegan with just a couple of items on the menu suitable for vegetarians only. Nothing for meateaters at all!

They do make use of a lot of fake meats and ersatz ingredients and I have to say I'm not a great fan of some of these but just being able to stick a pin in a full sized Chinese menu is such a thrill I'm willing to try almost anything. It's one of the first places we head to when I've returned to the UK for the winter.

That moment is quite a long way away at the moment, this will be the longest period I've ever stayed in France without a trip away, if only for a few days. Blame the kittens, or more accurately blame the British Government, the kits don't give a damn.

Anyway, I decided to indulge in a bit of DIY and make my own. It's not quite as good as our usual selection but it's considerably better than some offerings from other Chinese takeaways we've tried.

2 comments:

jb said...

I'm sure your homemade chinese is just as good, if not better, than store bought - it certainly looks delicious!

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Joyde