Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Nostalgia

My first experiences of French food, when I was 12, were on an exchange trip from my school to a school in Maubeuge. We were all assigned host families and partners from the school there and the idea was that after we had stayed with them, they would come and stay with us. Except for some reason I was paired with a boy who wouldn't travel. Or maybe it was that my parents were too mean. Anyway, I was dropped off in the depth of the countryside miles from the town with no chance of seeing any of my friends except on the organised trips and with a boy who didn't mix.

It was not a happy time. The family were very nice to me but couldn't overcome my shyness, their son's shyness and the total language barriers between us all. However, there was a lovely girl who worked for them, milked the cows in the morning, did all the cleaning, most of the cooking, everything as far as I could see and although we couldn't swap a word we got along pretty well.

One evening she put this on the table. Simple lightly cooked fresh cauliflower and a strong oily vinaigrette rich with garlic and herbs. I'd never had anything like it before in my life and I loved it.



Use a good olive oil and plenty of seasoning. Don't overcook the cauliflower and include a few of the leaves if they are crisp and fresh.

Sorry about the picture. I cut my finger eviscerating an artichoke yesterday and combined with general sadness don't have much energy for fancy photography.

5 comments:

Soja said...

Hope your finger heals up soon, no fun having a cut finger near vinegar, and hope the food helps the sadness. ;-) Can't help with the food photo sites, I hadn't heard of them before.

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Soja, food is a great healer :-)

You should take a look at the food sites when you have time, it's sometimes very interesting.

joker the lurcher said...

youch! hope it heals soon. love the look and sound of this - i hate vinegar so i replace that with lemon when i make salad dressing - i suspect this would work as well like that too.

joker the lurcher said...

had to leave another comment to let you know that the word verification for this one is catted!

Catofstripes said...

Hi Joker, sorry for the delay, hope you see this.

Finger all better now. Lemon juice would be great with cauliflower but I expect I'd want double the amount you'd choose, I love sour!

I sometimes think the word verification is having a laugh, they put some very odd words in there :-)