Sunday, May 30, 2010

Curry Sunday

curry night

Tonight's post was going to be all about the chapati. I think I've finally cracked this most basic of the breads of the Indian sub-continent and I wanted to share my good luck around but it already requires me to be doing two things at once and adding a photographic element to the process was beyond my four hands. It'll have to wait until Mr. Stripey is here to call the shots.

So let's talk about the curries instead. In south London there is a restaurant called the Kastoori. It's been there for ever and we used to eat in it far more frequently than we do now but whenever we can we always order their tomato curry which appears so simple and yet is so elusively delightful you have to keep having one more spoonful just to try to work out what makes it taste so good.

I haven't quite achieved that marvellous flavour tonight but the texture was correct and the seasoning was good in its own right. The recipe makes enough for two as a side dish but don't blame me if you feel you have to steal your partner's portion, you've been warned.

550g ripe tomatoes (about 4 medium)
2 cloves garlic, crushed to a paste
a little fresh chilli to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp black mustard seed
1 tsp curry powder, yes, I know, I don't have any fenugreek and the powder does...
Some rape seed oil (that's Canola to New World)
Salt

Immerse your tomatoes briefly in boiling water and slip off their skins. Finely chop two and half of them and cut the remainder into 12 wedges.

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan. Add the spices and stir around for a few seconds, then add the garlic paste, finely chopped chilli and curry powder (or a pinch of ground fenugreek and turmeric if you have it!).

Before anything starts to burn add the chopped tomato, bring to a simmer and allow to cook gently to form a tomato sauce. Add this point it can be set aside until just before it's needed. Season with salt to taste.

Finally add the tomato wedges and allow to gently heat through without losing their shape. A little finely chopped green coriander would be good at this point.

Serve with chapati and another dish - I had a beetroot dal which was good but I'll save the recipe for another day.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I've tried to re-create delicious curry at home many times...and it usually turns out mediocre at best....this sounds great...I'll be giving this a try soon.

Thanks!

Catofstripes said...

Thanks for commenting Rose, hope you enjoy the curry.