Monday, May 24, 2010

The Dark Side

Pasta from the Dark Side

My guests have left. In the end catering went its usual uncontrolled way and I just cooked what I felt like when the mood took me. We had Jacket Potatoes, although with French Haricot Blancs in Sauce Tomate, a quiche, a spinach lasagne that I have yet to document here (I think!) although it's quite a family favourite, several bean stews; some with dumplings, burgers and oven chips, a curry with chapatis, the Volcano cottage pie mentioned previously, pizza and so on.

What we didn't have was any pasta or rice, well, so little rice as to make no difference, a little with the curry and I rebelled one day and made a risotto, just for me, because one of the visitor's preferences precluded it. He wasn't all that keen on pastry either although he didn't seem to mind the flat pasta hidden in the lasagne, it appears it's just the shapes that put him off.

So tonight I cleared out the fridge of various dodgy leftovers, half a cube of soft silken tofu, a few tablespoons of passata, a handful of almond stuffed olives and some tinned sweetcorn and made a pasta sauce to be served with the twisty macaronis shown above. And it was alright, in fact, the texture of the soft tofu scramble was rather good I thought and with a little more refinement in the flavourings has some potential for a more classy dish at a later time. A few more leftovers to shift and cooking will resume a more pure approach.

See you soon.

No comments: