Thursday, March 17, 2011

The luck of the Irish

potato apple pie
Potato Apple Pie

Happy St. Paddy's Day although for most of you it's nearly over already.

This is what I intended to submit to the Daily Spud for the Paddy's day parade, a slight tribute to the Spud herself as I think the inspiration comes from one of her recipes although I didn't have it to hand when I made this. But I was too late and serves me right. Apologies for the naff picture too, it's too dark in the evenings for the little camera to cope yet.

This is really very simple and even with all the omissions I made by way of sweetening and spicing ( I forgot the lot!) it's a welcome snack with a cup of tea. A tot of Irish whiskey helps it down too.

The pastry is where the potato is hiding. You will need;

About 400g freshly mashed potato, still warm
70g margarine
120g plain flour and extra for shaping.

A couple of eating apples - I only had one but it was huge.
Lemon juice
Sugar
Cinnamon or other spices to taste.

Prepare your apple(s) by taking out the cores and making neat slices. No need to peel. Sprinkle the slices with lemon juice, this improves the flavour as well as the colour so don't leave it out.

Make a lovely soft dough by mixing the margarine into the warm mash and then adding the flour. Use a fork or something to mix it well. Turn out onto your well floured board and divide into two pieces (or possibly three, I saved a little back and made a potato scone with it). Gently pat or roll one portion out into a rough circle shape about 25cm across. It's extremely difficult to move so it may be easiest to work straight onto the baking tray.

Arrange your apple slices over the base leaving a border all around them of about 3cm. You can pile them up a bit in the middle if you like. Add sugar if you think it needs it and sprinkle in a little of your spice flavouring.

With the other portion of dough make a lid. Start by patting out a circle on the board but before it gets too thin and unwieldy plop it on top of the apples and pat it out across them there. You need only top the apples with it. Fold the base up to meet it and seal the edges. The dough is easy to work.

Sprinkle some sugar over the top and bake in a medium oven, say 170C for an hour. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.

That's all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry this didn't make it to the parade, I'm quite partial to a spot of potato apple pie, so I am. Still, there's always next year!

Daily Spud said...

...and, as if you hadn't guessed already, that previous comment above was from me. Thought I would leave my name this time!

Catofstripes said...

Thanks for stopping by. I will try harder next year I promise. But you didn't really need me, that was a splendid turnout.

Debra said...

Potatoes and apples?! I have actually never thought of this combo before, or that it could even work together.
But now that I've seen this wonderful recipe, I want to try it so bad! ;-)

Great job!

Blessings, Debra
Vegan Family Style

Patti said...

LOVING this blog... a friend pointed me your way... I am a vegan since January! And loving it! I blogged about it as soon as I began... can't wait to peruse all of your posts! Thanks for sharing!