Monday, March 21, 2011

Too tired to cook...

Cabbage and bamboo shoot stirfry
Cabbage and Bamboo Shoot Stirfry


The weather has been brilliant this week and I've been making the most of it by trying to catch up and get ahead on the gardening. Long days outside and heavy work means that by the time I come in for my dinner I've barely got the energy to light the fire and make a cup of tea. Meals have, of necessity, been rather dull. Food as fuel, not entertainment.

The stirfry above was flavoured in the manner of a hot and sour soup, white pepper and the sharpness of vinegar. It wasn't great and possibly the only thing of note about it was that the cabbage was harvested from the garden. No bamboo shoots yet in the vegetable patch but I'm working on it.

Vegetable fried rice
Vegetable Fried Rice

Naturally leftovers are playing their part, this fried rice was made with the spare rice from the stirfry and some more veggies. After stir frying the vegetables briefly I steamed them in a glass of Gewurztraminer wine before adding the broken up cold rice and finally frying it. I had another glass of wine with the meal.

Braised endive and roast potatoes
Braised Endive and roast potatoes

I must have had the oven on for some reason, perhaps making that Potato Apple pie because this rather austere meal of wine cooked endive and roast potatoes would have taken me too long on a normal evening. It was only o.k. and I had the rest of the braised endives in a stew the next day, mercifully unrecorded.

Tonight, a sort of porridge of celeriac and couscous. I wanted bulgar but it seems to be rule of nature that whichever I want of bulgar or couscous I only have the other. Not worth photographing, I've saved a portion for lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

Debra said...

It all looks amazing! Especially the stirfry ;-) It looks delicious.

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet