Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Tanpopo - eating dandelions

tanpopo

Call me weird, you won't be the first, but I've always wanted to try eating dandelion roots. However, despite living in a meadow full of them I've never found any with large enough roots to make it feasible to prepare enough for a portion. Until today.

tanpopo5

Digging in the back garden plot, full of rich soil and untouched since last autumn there were several large plants which had been biding their time and just beginning to flower. I suppose the counsel of perfection would have been to take them a couple of weeks ago before the buds were fully developed but no matter, it wasn't too late.

tanpopo4

It's really not worth while trying to work with any root thinner than your little finger. Trim off the tops and scrub them well. I used a rough nylon scrubbing sponge, the sort used for washing up but a nail brush might work too. Most of the outer colour will come off. Use a small knife to peel away any difficult spots.

tanpopo3

Shred the roots into small pieces. I found it easiest to sit with a bowl in my lap and 'sharpen' the roots like a pencil into the bowl. This is a standard Japanese technique called sasagaki, usually used for burdock root. In Roger Philipps' Wild Food book he gives a recipe where the root is minced but I think this is nicer. In the larger roots you may find a stringy twiggy core. It's easy enough to pick this out as you go but small bits won't hurt.

Stir fry the shreds in a teaspoonful of sesame oil for a few minutes until they are just beginning to turn golden at the edges, then add a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce mixed with water in equal parts. Cover the pan and allow everything to steam for a minute then remove the lid and allow the dandelion root to simmer gently. Stir frequently until all the moisture has evaporated and the shreds are dark and shiny with the glaze.

It's quite bitter so plan to serve it as a condiment with rice and another dish but do try it if you can. I found it addictive.

tanpopo2

4 comments:

Sarsparilla said...

I've just been reading about all the health properties of dandelion root tea, strangely enough. Thanks for the illustration - yours looks tastier.

Rose said...

I drink dandelion root tea too and eat the greens all the time. I should really try the roots...I've heard that they are very good for your health.

Debra said...

I love dandelion :-)

Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet

Patrick said...

This looks yummy! I've had syrup made from dandelion flowers that's very nice, and not sharp at all.

I'm not very fond of the leaves, too bitter.

I'll bet this would be nice though, with the bitterness a little softened by the cooking and flavored by the sesame oil and soy sauce.