Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fusion Wraps

fusion wraps

Anyone who knows me even slightly will have heard my oft repeated rant against fusion cooking - I don't like it, I don't see the point of it and it is pretension at the table where none should exist - but I've fallen foul of my own rules here.

Tonight's dinner falls somewhere between a Mexican inspired dish and a Chinese spring roll as tortillas are used to enclose a stir fried vegetable filling seasoned with soy sauce and (in the absence of mirin) a dash of sherry vinegar. In fact the whole thing is a mess ethnically, made worse by reckless substitution of ingredients when the proper item was missing.

It looks pretty enough and makes a good dinner.

Slice your vegetables into long thin strips. I used aubergine, carrot and french beans left whole. Sprinkle with salt and leave to degorge for a bit, then rinse really well and squeeze the vegetables hard to remove as much moisture as possible.

Stir fry in a little vegetable oil adding finely sliced garlic once everything is nearly cooked. Grated ginger would have been an excellent addition but I hadn't any. Season carefully with pepper, good soy sauce and a splash of mirin, sherry or sherry vinegar. I thought the sherry vinegar worked well in mine.

Set the cooked veg to one side and heat the ready made long life tortillas in a non-stick or lightly oiled pan. It would be great to make my own or substitute a nice puffy chappatti but I can't bring myself to do it for one.

When the tortilla is hot, puffed up a little but still pliable, wrap a portion of veg and roll up. Continue until you have enough and eat. I served mine with some Taco Salsa. Well, why not?

No comments: