Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Veritable British Curry

Tonight's meal is an exercise in history. When I was young, curry, when it didn't come straight from the Vesta Packet, was a peculiar melange of muddled ideas about Indian cookery and the Raj.

Veritable British Curry

France isn't terribly good for the things we take for granted in the UK, the range of spices is quite limited and the quality of what's available remarkably poor. I bought a jar of ground cinnamon the other day which I swear tasted of nothing at all, which was a disappointment because I'd promised myself cinnamon toast, but that's not important right now.

The lack of a decent repertoire of spices or green curry herbs means that making anything like a authentic Indian or Pakistani curry is way beyond my reach. However, I did find an acceptable Madras curry mix and with a carton of coconut cream, some potatoes, apples, prunes, tinned beans and peas created a meal redolent of my youth.

The flat breads are the left over flour tortillas, I cannot tell a lie.

No comments: