Thursday, June 12, 2008

Assembly Work

Savoury Assembly

This is the sort of cooking that Delia has recently been advocating and which has provoked such a response in the foodie press.

I was never a Delia fan, she had nothing to teach me and I found her personally, at least as far as she appears in public, ever so slightly repulsive. I caught a few episodes of the recent promotion of her book on the BBC and that impression was confirmed, I'd be reluctant to let her into the house. No doubt she won't mind that since our circles are never likely to cross.

Anyway, irrational antipathies aside, I'd be lying if I said I never took a short cut in the kitchen. I'm usually a bit shy of them, but there are times when the most important thing isn't the food. May I be forgiven for that!

This is a really easy and tasty tart or pie (yes, nomenclature again) which comprises;

1 baking tray.
1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry.
2 tablespoons of bottled pasta sauce, tomato and basil flavour, spread to within 30mm of the pastry edge.
Enough tofu sliced very thin to cover the sauce.
A very little Cheezley crumbled over that (or use a shake of nutritional yeast).
1 jar of brine preserved artichoke hearts, halved and arranged neatly on the pie.
1 small onion, sliced into rings, tossed in a little oil and piled up in the centre of the construction.
A sprinkle of dried herbs over the top.
A shake of chili flakes to finish.

Fold the edges of the pastry up to enclose the filling, pleating neatly as necessary and bake for 20 minutes or so in a hot oven until the pastry is golden and crisp.

Serve with a salad and wine.

No comments: