Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pissaladière



Sorry for the short interruption in posting. Mr. Stripey Cat has been here and very sadly the poor old Black Cat has died. We've been a bit quiet and miserable.

This pissaladière is a variation on tradition, the well known version from Southern France includes anchovies, olives and sometimes capers on the onion topping. This one has mushrooms and some strips of roasted red pepper for garnish. It also forms another entry in my informal series of 101 things to do with a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry.

Chop plenty of onions, any sort will do and cook very gently in plenty of olive oil and a good grinding of black pepper until they are very soft and beginning to turn golden. Stir in some fresh thyme leaves stripped from their woody stalks. Remove the mixture from the pan and set aside to cool. In the same pan quickly fry off some fresh white mushrooms so that they take on a golden glow and lose a little of their moisture.

On a greased baking sheet, unroll your puff pastry. Spread the onions over it to within 25mm of the edge. Top with mushrooms. I used some lemon thyme for herby seasoning and it was o.k. but I think I'd stick to the more usual form in future.

Decorate with thin strips of roasted red pepper. If you have none you can lightly fry off strips of a fresh one before starting assembly.

Cook at about 200C for 25 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve with a green salad and a good chilled rosé.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive selection of meals, and excellent presentation for a meal for one!. Might nick a few ideas to cook up myself as my plot is now producing at last.

Catofstripes said...

Thank you Lee, appreciated.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your cat. We made friends with the gite's resident cat, an orange tabby who was covered with ticks. My daughter really wanted to bring him home, and but for Defra and my husband's allergies would probably have done so.

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Kathy

The French are very cavalier about cats and seem to regard them pretty much as vermin in the country. Hope the orange cat gets lots of nice visitors to feed him this summer.

Anonymous said...

Pissaladière is a tart that reminds me my childhood holidays. The question of the anchovies is also ennoying for me. Usually I add black olives or seeweed tartar instead. This is the first time, I see bell peppers. Good idea.

Catofstripes said...

Hi Virginie, seaweed is a good idea for an anchovy substitute, I'll have to try it next time, I think it would work well. Thanks for commenting.