Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 15 - Noodle Bowl

noodle bowl

The last couple of times we've eaten out it has been at Japanese restaurants. I wanted noodles at Itadaki Zen but was talked out of it because I would have had too much food. At Oishii I had the Yasai Tofu Ramen and felt it just missed the spot I was aiming for.

With loads of delicious beetroot consommé and other leftovers from Valentine's day, I thought I'd make my own version.

The stock for the soup is usually dashi based, but the depth of flavour from the vegetable broth is a good substitute, particularly flavoured with a few slices of ginger and spring onions. I also add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a small teaspoon of chilli miso to enrich it.

Precook, rinse and cool some Japanese noodles, soba or ramen, and arrange them in the bottom of your large soup dish. Add some slices of tofu, I had marinated oven baked tofu in stock but you can use fresh tofu or fry some slices if you prefer. A handful of blanched kale - softer leafy vegetables like spinach wouldn't need precooking, some sliced mushrooms, some hijiki seaweed (presoaked), carrot flowers, some sprigs of leaf coriander and anything else you'd like in there. Fill the bowl with boiling hot stock and serve with chopsticks for the noodles and vegetables and a big spoon to finish all the soup.

No comments: