Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 20 and 21 - Onion soup, onion soup



Day 20 was a washout for blogging purposes - we didn't exactly go off the rails but a heavy schedule for the day meant we ended up eating from a selection of convenience and junk foods. It happens sometimes.

Today I made Onion Soup. This isn't something I ever think very hard about, one of the first classic recipes I ever researched and prepared and slowly adapted over time as my facilities have altered and other cooks have leant me their ideas on the subject, but I thought for the benefit of all I'd consult the book I expected would have the last word on authenticity - Je sais cuisiner although I actually opened the English translation I know how to cook which was one of my presents self awarded for Yule.

Imagine the surprise then when I read the recipe in there - cook the onions quickly for ten minutes, add the stock, cook another 10 minutes, strain the onions from the juice and add vermicelli! It is so far removed from the conventionally accepted recipe that I had to look at it several times before it would sink in.

Anyhap, I tidied away my shattered misconceptions and set about making French Onion Soup - my way. Serves 2-4

500g (after prep) onions, peeled and very finely sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of dried thyme or a bay leaf (or both, why not!)
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar


Put your onions and the bay leaf/thyme/both into a heavy based pan that has a good lid and toss in the oil. Cover and allow to soften over a very low heat, this may take as much as an hour. If you're busy set a timer for 10 minute intervals and come back to give it a check and a stir about.

When meltingly soft, remove the cover, add the garlic and mix in, sprinkle in the salt and sugar (keep the quantities scant) and turn up the heat a tad. Keep stirring over the heat until the onions start to take colour, without ever letting them burn.

1 tbsp. flour
1 ltr. stock (Use a good quality cube, or your own home made)
1 glass of wine (red or white, I prefer red)
1 flat tbsp. dark miso or soy sauce to taste


Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and combine. Cook for a minute or two, then add the stock and wine and your choice of miso or soy sauce (mash the miso down in a little of the liquid to make it mix in more easily).

Bring back to the simmer and allow to cook for a further five minutes, stirring often to make sure the flour is cooked and the flavours are combined.

Serve with croutons or what you will, we had some toasted Cheesly on slices of bread and another glass of wine if you're allowed. It's very good for the circulation.

No comments: