Monday, May 04, 2009

Easy

focaccia

As previously mentioned, I've no access to the shops for a while, originally expecting 10 days and now it's stretching out to nearer 13 days before Mr. Stripey returns with my car and the freedom to roam. I do have one loaf of made bread still in the freezer but I've promised myself I won't start that until Wednesday, so there's a chance of making it to the weekend.

I still have a little flour and with the help of a starter made last week and kept in the fridge it's been possible to make some pikelets and now this focaccia to eke out my essentials with.

Giving directions on how to make bread is beyond me. I read other people's very detailed recipes and I know I'd never follow them. For me, bread is like art. Either it reaches my expectations or it doesn't. This did. I apologise that these instructions will be no help at all to the neophyte but hope anyone who's made a little bread before will be able to pick up what I'm talking about.

Add enough flour to a wet starter (equal parts flour and water with a pinch of dried yeast, fermented 12 hours in the cool and refrigerated for a week) to make a shaggy moist dough. You'll need some water too and a sprinkle of fine salt. This is a no knead bread, so just use your hands to gather everything together and make a smooth ball to pop back in your bowl. The problem in this house is finding a place to set the dough to rise, there's nowhere warm. In the end I resorted to putting the bowl on a sheltered south facing windowsill outside to use solar energy for my heating.

When the dough has doubled in size, spread it out over a well oiled high sided tin and leave to rest for 30 minutes to an hour. Punch little depressions all over with your finger tips and sprinkle with rosemary and a little sea salt (I used too much). Add a final drizzle of olive oil if you need to, I didn't, and bake in a hot oven until cooked. This took about 35 minutes but my oven isn't great.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

avegancalledbacon said...

Hey ho - just to say I've been enjoying you using up your ingredients...

Catofstripes said...

Thanks AVCB, it should be fun! and there's plenty of pasta and tinned tomatoes if needed but boy is it boring!