Friday, May 01, 2009

Past its best

I should have posted this entry last night but like the good researcher I am I had to wait overnight, just to see if I died of anything I'd eaten! Actually that's not true, it's just that I was lost in a book and forgot.

I've been given a number of tin cans of food which are considerably past their sell by date. However, commercial canning is one of the safest methods of food preservation known to mankind and provided a few simple rules are followed you should be able to use these resources up safely and without contributing to the mounds of food waste that are made every day.



This is a tin of tomatoes, best before the end of August 2007. The first thing to notice about it is that the label is still dry, clean and relatively undamaged. There are no visible dents. I have to say that I don't think the sort of cans with easy lift lids are as long lived as those you have to open with a tin opener, but if everything else checks out you should be fine.



Next check the top and bottom of the can for rust marks or discolouration. This one looks o.k. A few surface marks can be ignored but the main body should be clean. Tip the contents out into a clean bowl (if they're fizzing you can stop now, and just chuck the whole lot out) and rinse the tin.

Examine the inside of the can for damage, discolouration, any dents that weren't visible from the outside. If it's a coated tin like this one then it's pretty easy to see what's going on but on other tins you'll have to look closely to ensure the metal is in good order.

Then turn your attention to the contents. Anything that smells bad, looks a funny colour, has strange lumps or is unexpectedly watery or solid should be discarded. Even if it won't kill you worrying about it will give you a bad night so don't take the chance.



Finally use your rescued produce in a dish that has a good long cooking, ideally something that reaches a boil for a few minutes and then simmers for half an hour or so. I made a leek and tomato soup with my old tomatoes and it wasn't too bad.

No comments: