Thursday, May 14, 2009

Health and Beauty

forage
A bunch of weeds and herbs including red valerian, scuplit, sorrel, sweet cicely, chives and flowers, clover flowers, comfrey, bramble shoots, parsley, tarragon, sage and lemon thyme.

One of the main reasons for writing this blog is that when I'm on my own I don't eat healthily, usually choosing easy starchy snacks to pick at along with a lot of strong coffee.

This season I've not been managing very well at all, firstly with the excuse of not having the option of particularly fresh foods and now, because I have access to junk food again, the ability to avoid healthy eating with 'treats'. It's got to stop.

Tomorrow, Mr. S-C will be back for the weekend so I'm planning to bake him a cake and a nice dinner which may or may not be blogged but starting Monday it's going back to working to a menu plan and no more cheating.

Tonight, a rather pedestrian selection of tomato, cucumber, onion and chopped chicon has been enlivened with the bunch of foraged greens and herbs shown above. The dressing was made with olive oil, mustard and sherry vinegar which I find much preferable to the rather abused balsamic available in supermarkets (although if anyone would like to gift me a drop of the real stuff I'd be very grateful!).

salad

1 comment:

joker the lurcher said...

beautiful and simple. we had salad at lunchtime with lots of herbs in it. i love eating stuff i have grown!