Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jacket spuds by the Fire



A very simple supper using the wood fire to cook my jacket potatoes. We usually serve this supremely comforting food with coleslaw and baked beans (and sometimes killer cucumber pickles and a few other things but beans and coleslaw are essential). The coleslaw is just some more of the Cherry Coloured Coleslaw from a few days ago using a white cabbage mixed with the red one this time. The beans, well, we're in France.

It is possible to buy Heinz baked beans here but I refuse to do so on principle. Instead I used an imported can of Peeled Ful from the Iranian grocer's shop in Motspur Park. Ful are basically broad beans and a staple of Middle Eastern cooking. Ful in tins is exactly equivalent to British baked beans but for a different culture. They're also rather good.

I ate so much I thought I would explode, but that's o.k. once in a while.

2 comments:

Destiny's Kitchen said...

That looks so comforting & cozy!

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Destiny, it was rather nice on a cold evening.