Monday, November 01, 2010

Decisions, decisions.



Whose idea was it to run VeganMoFo actually in the same month as NaNoWriMo? For someone with a very limited ability to get myself motivated even as far as making breakfast it is definitely taking the piss. I don't think I can do both and my ability to choose rationally is pretty poor too, so I may end up doing nothing at all.

Anyway, I can at least have a go at blogging this. For my birthday, a whole month ago now, I received a kit of secret powders and special tools so that I could start to experiment on the rather well trodden paths of molecular gastronomy.

I'm still learning techniques at the moment so it will be a while before our meals start to show much influence from the higher echelons of fancy cuisine and even longer before I'll have any original recipes to share but for the moment please be amazed by my first attempt, a beetroot caviar.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Wow, you're learning molecular gastronomy...that is impressive. Sounds interesting. The beet caviar looks good to me...I've never had the real stuff, but I like the idea of it better when it's made from beets.

Soja said...

It looks very lush, great colour. How would you eat it? With blinis or something? Could you use it to top sushi, or would the colour bleed? Sounds like you are having an interesting time in the kitchen....

mollyjade said...

I'm impressed, too!

meansoybean said...

Wow, I wish I had a kit like that. I'm surprised at how many veggie caviars are popping up. There's probably a demand due to over fishing.

Catofstripes said...

Thanks everyone.

@Soja

Use it just like that. The colour of these does bleed a little but not too badly, added as a last minute garnish they'd be fine.