Friday, November 19, 2010

Tofu Teriyaki Stack

Stack

A couple of the things on the menu the other night seemed appealing but I didn't choose them for my meal because they looked easy enough to recreate at home. One of them was a tofu stack made with locally produced tofu which tickled me because I had some locally produced (by me) tofu sitting in the fridge at home.

In the end what I made didn't quite recreate their take on it but incorporated elements of two of their dishes.

It's a work in progress but we enjoyed it. The tofu stack is made from deep fried wonton wrappers - I had some left over from a packet that I'd bought for gyoza. Slip them into hot oil and they bubble up beautifully. Drain and keep warm in the oven while you prepare the rest.

With my home made tofu I used some onion, garlic and marrow. I made disks of marrow flesh, fried them off in a little oil and then coated them with teriyaki sauce. These were held in the warm too, then the tofu was made into a scramble with the onions, garlic and a little more teriyaki sauce. Finally everything was assembled into stacks.

With them we had some brown rice and a stir fry of quartered brussels sprouts with some green soy beans which worked surprisingly well.

3 comments:

JL goes Vegan said...

It looks delicious and I'm completely impressed that you make your own tofu!

Rose said...

There is something about stacking foods that make it very exciting and elegant at the same time. This looks and sounds really good! I love the idea of frying the wonton wrappers.

Catofstripes said...

@JL I'm very impressed I made my own tofu too! It was my first attempt from beans to tofu and surprisingly easy. You should give a go one day. Thanks.

@Rose I missed my chance with the title tho! I was going to call it Tofu Teriyaki Tower and then totally forgot when I was writing up the post. :-)