Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Everything Soup

minestrone
Minestrone soup. Make it like this.

No matter how hard I try I'm not going to succeed at making 20 entries for this year's Mofo. Which is a bit sad. I could cheat and put out a couple of posts a day between now and the end of the week but really, I haven't got the will power, even though there are several potential sources of inspiration bubbling under. Let's hope they reach the surface before Yule.

Anyway, above is Minestrone soup and it's something we have quite often. Most people will already have a favourite recipe but mine is linked to above if you need it.

This Mofo has been interesting for me, I've found lots of new blogs that will help expand my understanding of cooking and the lifestyles of other vegans. Here a few of them, there are many more.

Alf Hana means "a thousand delights" in Arabic. This is a great blog for finding out about all sorts of Egyptian delights, nicely veganised and easy to read.

In fact, that's something that really affects my enjoyment of blogs, clearly laid out sites ideally with dark on light text to page. Anything written on a black background, too fussy or with brightly coloured text hurts my eyes too much to continue.

Juu's German Kitchen is very inventive and fun to read, giving me insights into how they eat in Germany. I love his 'just go for it' approach to veganising traditional German foods.

I've enjoyed reading Our life in Sandarna, a Swedish blog showing Swedish home cooking. It seems to have been started just for Mofo but I'm hoping they'll keep writing.

There's a bit of a Nordic theme to all this. Seglare in Copenhagen is another Swede, living in Denmark and reporting on what she finds there. Lovely writing and some nice recipes.

And last but not least, special mention to Dandelion. I was already a regular reader of Rose's blog but she has excelled herself this MoFo with some wonderful posts on recipes from all around the world. Her industry is an inspiration.

By the way, if you've subscribed to the MoFo RSS reader bundle and you plan to unsubscribe by removing the whole bundle in one fell swoop, make a note of anyone who was included who you are normally subscribed to. Google reader deletes all regardless of the tags, and it's taken me some time to rebuild my usual reader favourites to the state they were in before I loaded and unloaded the Mofo bundle.

7 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

That soup looks delicious. I'm happy I found your blog - YAY for MoFo.
:)

jess_fildespages said...

so perfect for rainy normandy winters!

Fanny said...

Fun that you like the Swedish blogs! I'm actually also a swede, but I live on the Faroe Islands. Have you tried some of the Swedish food that Our Life In Sandarna writes about? You should!

Rose said...

Mmmminestrone! Looks good!

Thanks for the blog list: I'm going to visit those blogs soon!

Catofstripes said...

Hi Jeni, I'm glad to find your blog too :)

Jessica, soup is perfect anywhere. I'm back in the UK for a few months but will be returning to France soon.

Hello Fanny, I am reading your blog too, I'd love to visit the Faroe Islands one day. I have lots of Swedish relatives so I think that's why I like Sweden.

Rose, there are so many good blogs out there. So much to read, so little time :)

Anonymous said...

That soup looks delicious! Gonna have to try that soon!!! (Thanks for the link - and your very kind words - to our blog!!!)

Catofstripes said...

@pharaohscat You're welcome :-)