Monday, November 08, 2010

Waffle waffle waffle

cusinart waffle iron

I had a good birthday for cooking aids. This lovely shiny Cusinart waffle iron was a present from my son and I've been trying some different recipes to see how to get the best of it.

First of all I went for the absolutely most simple recipe I could find, based on this one called Frasvåfflor (you'll need to scroll down a bit to find it.)

Lacking enough vegan marg. I made substitutions and came up with this;

60g neutral flavoured vegetable oil
125g soya milk
100g flour (I only had spelt)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla essence.

This made four waffles, which were nice enough to look at but really tasteless.

So the next experiment used this recipe:

(based on the one at GroupRecipes)

115g strong white flour
115g rye flour
115g spelt flour
(the reason for this odd mixture of flours is that I only seemed to have a lot of strong bread flour on hand and thought it would make the waffles tough. Substitute 345g of plain or cake flour or use half that and half fine wholemeal flour)
50g sugar - white, brown, whatever
1 teaspoon (about 9g) baking powder
pinch of salt

25g light vegetable oil
350g non-dairy milk
170g water (you may not need all of it)

Get your waffle iron hot before you start to mix.

Weigh and mix the dry ingredients. Weigh the wet ingredients and add to the dry. Mix well. You may not need all the water but I found the mix much too thick in the original recipe and needed to thin it down a bit.

This makes about 12 waffles in the Cusinart. Ladle a good tablespoon onto each section and spread it a little bit.

Close and cook to your preference. I found these needed about 4 minutes and could maybe have taken a little longer if they were to be eaten immediately. As I was expecting to freeze them, I took them out before they were perfectly golden to allow for further browning in toaster.

They freeze well, allow to cool, bag up with some parchment paper dividers and toss in the freezer. You can then remove one or two for breakfast and reheat in the toaster from frozen. Almost as good at the freshly cooked ones.

waffles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your amazing waffle iron! That is the real deal, and your waffles sound & look delicious!

I'm so excited to see you doing MoFo!!

Rose said...

These look really good. Perfect for maple syrup or dipping in chocolate!