Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rush job



Just a quick one to make the quota! Dinner tonight was pretty simple, boiled spuds, steamed cabbage and a rich onion miso gravy with slices of smokey tofu simmered in it.



Pudding was another very simple construction. Apple Fool. Most usually made with the mouth puckering green gooseberry or the equally sour faced rhubarb, fruits fools make any sharp fruit puree delicious, sweet and creamy.

If you google for recipes for fruit fools you'll find plenty that demand huge quantities of double cream but in the cash strapped middle England of my youth fruit fools were made with custard alone, not even an egg custard but the magnificence that is Birds Custard, just cornflour, sugar, vanilla flavouring, colouring and milk.

We've come a long way since then. Although I still have a can of the good stuff in the cupboard I splashed out on some ready made custard from Alpro. They may make rubbish soy milk and yoghurt these days (someone in marketing has decided that even the unsweetened versions need to have vanilla keynotes!) but it's hard to fault their instant custard. It's a gem of its kind.

Use equal quantities of freshly made fruit puree and custard by volume. I had some excellent cooking apples; Lane's Prince Albert, but any cooker that will give a soft frothy sauce will do. Mix the two together and chill until required. A tall glass and a shortbread biscuit will dress it up for company but we just ate ours with a teaspoon.

As usual apologies for the photos. I can't wait for the daytime to be longer than night again.

5 comments:

x said...

Your dinner and dessert look lovely! I wish we could get vegan custard in a carton, here we can only get the powdered version!

Rose said...

...rich onion/miso gravy with smokey tofu? YUM!

Wait...you can get vegan custard in a carton? I don't even like custard, but that is pretty cool.

DJ said...

Not a vegan myself but good on you! I am into eating fresh, as organic/local as possible though. I get most of my veg from my own garden or the organic co-op CSA I belong to. We are cutting down on meat consumption but I like roasted free range chickens and stuff made with eggs too much to give them up. Just landed here from the "Next blog" serendipity button from my blog Plum Tasty which is an eclectic mix of stuff, sometimes food, sometimes life and some smart aleck humor. Interesting stuff!

I love Bird's Custard! Learned about it from friends in the UK. My first love is ice cream (preferably home made--which is just frozen custard). Bird's is nice on apple pie this time of year when it is starting to get too cold to have frozen teeth! Only recently found Bird's in a store here! That's as "exotic" as it gets here on the quickie custard scene here.

Best wishes on your blog!
DJ in USA

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Mandee and Rose. Yes, vegan custard in a carton and it's good! The manufacturers, Alpro, have cornered the supermarket trade and used to have a reliable plain yoghurt and soy milk too but these days they are so strongly flavoured with vanilla they're unusable in savoury foods. Which is a pity.

Hi DJ,

I love that 'next blog' button. It seems to go to such interesting places. I'll pop over and have a look at your blog now. Cheers!

Tea and Sympatico said...

Mmm fool. My mum often used to whip up a quick version for after our tea when I was a kid that I think contained evapourated milk - maybe that was a North of England version! Like the sound of it with custard. And, I'm totally with you on Alpro - the new recipe natural yoghurt is disgusting!