Saturday, October 15, 2011

Achochas de Padrón

So it begins, a day slips past without a post, is it laziness, lack of time or ennui? And then the need to catch up commences. Vegan MoFo is always a task that is slightly beyond my capabilities but for now I'll try to make good. This is yesterday's post, a little late.

achocha female flower

In my garden I grow a lot of odd things. I like to try new varieties and I'm committed to the idea of agricultural biodiversity. It's important to grow a wide range of plants for the benefit of the environment, for food security, for added interest. Mostly this is covered on the other blog but of course I grow food to eat it. There's going to be some overlap.

A range of achocha

This year for the first time I grew a plant, Achocha which is popularly believed to be one of the Lost Crops of the Incas. It's a vigorous plant and I won't be the first to wonder how they managed to lose it. Related to cucumbers and squashes it climbs, makes tiny flowers and produces green, slightly spiny fruit that can be harvested in a range of sizes, as above.

Unfortunately, I find them rather dull to eat. The tiny fruit are cucumbery and can be popped into salad, the larger ones are best deseeded and stuffed but that relegates the achocha to the status of tasteless green wrapper. It's not wrong but there seems little point to it.

I've used them cooked on pizzas and in curries, which is probably the most successful method for dealing with the larger vegetables but there's nothing that really can be called a definitive achocha dish, they're just not distinctive enough for that.

A popular tapas dish is called Pimientos de Padrón, small rather mild green chillies are fried quickly over a high heat to blister them and served with a dusting of salt. The twist is that some of the chillies are uncharacteristically spicy. Once in a while the diner gets a surprise. It adds a little piquant suspense to what is basically a bar snack.

I've adapted this basic idea for the smaller, more immature achocha. Fruit too small to need the big black seeds removing are fried very quickly to blacken and blister the outsides, adding some flavour. To mimic the hot surprise I included a few shreds of a not very hot large green chili. It's not the same as the real thing by any means but a part of a mixed selection of tapas it's quite acceptable.

achochas de padron

3 comments:

Rose said...

Is this also called chayote? Sort of looks like the ones I've seen in the shop. I tried one once and it was sort of cucumbery, not too flavorful.

Your mimicked pimientos de padron is very clever.

Catofstripes said...

Hi Rose, no, not these. The Chayote is a different sort of cucurbit and I think it needs warmer conditions than I can easily give it here. The chayote is fleshy all through with a seed in the middle, these Achocha (Cyclanthera pedata) are more hollow as they mature with many black seeds that look like teeth. They don't grow as large as the Chayote either.

Emma said...

Nice recipe :) Will try it next time I grow achocha. Having tried chayote this year, I don't think it's a lack of heat that defeats them - mine flowered and attempted to fruit, but not until the days started to get shorter so they left it far too late.