Monday, October 10, 2011

Of Seaweed

perles

We're always on the lookout for interesting new vegan food items and last week, shopping in the local Super U, we came across these little pots of seaweed goodness, algal caviar, commercially produced molecular gastronomy. They're not cheap at 6€80 a shot but make a fun garnish. Most importantly, they are a form of novelty junk food that helps make shopping a treat again.

The seaweed Perles are made in Brittany, at Algues de Bretagne, ZI de Dioulan - 29140 ROSPORDEN. Sadly the website is 'under construction' but at least the products are being marketed across France.

perles de l'ocean
Les perles de l’océan – vinaigre & echalotes

There were two sorts available, although I believe Algues de Bretagne make several others, one being flavoured with truffle aromas (nearly all truffle flavourings are artificial) and the other with shallot vinegar. They do stock them in the chilled fish cabinet though which makes searching them out a bit traumatic.

perles fondantes
Perles Fondantes - truffe

I didn't much like the shallot version, even with my preference for sharp vinegary tastes these were too much for me but the warm earthiness of the truffle version was pleasant if not quite as appealing as the Caviart product which for inexplicable reasons is very hard to obtain in the UK (and despite being told it's available in France I've never seen it here either).

The technique is not beyond me and trying these makes me aware that I can tailor flavours to my own taste but for instant gratification I hope they continue to be available.

5 comments:

Emily said...

These are at once bizarre and fascinating. I have never had caviar, but after seeing these cute little pearls I'm keen to try the vegan kind.
I'm curious: are they supposed to mimic the "real thing"?

PS: Your blog name rules!

Angela @ Vegangela.com said...

Wow, this is super cool! Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Heather @ Better With Veggies said...

Vegan Caviar?! I'm so excited, I'll be searching for a way to get a jar now - this was one of my favorite "fancy" splurges in my pre-plant-based days!

Angela Baciu said...

Caviar was the only thing I was REALLY missing! And vegan caviar is incredibly good! I tried it yesterday and I am still so excited! :) I got the one from Ikea - Tangkorn. If you have a Ikea nearby, you should get it too!

Catofstripes said...

Hi Angela, I've looked in Ikea before and not been able to find it but I'll try again. Thanks for commenting