Thursday, October 20, 2011

Don't rue the roux

vegetable gratin

Aaargh, I was doing so well and now look at me, all behind like the lamb's tail.

Excuses, for there are many, mainly revolve around the fact the roofers are here. I'm not used to people being around, banging and crashing, just being there. It's also rather cold and because the men are on the roof I can't light the woodburners or I'd smoke them down again.

Anyway, looking for light and toothsome dishes to feed myself with I have rediscovered the joys of a very plain parsley sauce, béchamel lightly flavoured with parsley. No excess of fat or creams, no faux cheesiness, just properly cooked goodness. I used it to dress some cooked vegetables and then browned the top off in the oven.

Simple white sauces like this were amongst the very first techniques we were taught in Domestic Science lessons at school when I was 11 or so and consequently they suffer both from the contempt of over familiarity and the forgetfulness of the recipe overloads of the last, well, mumble, years.

We were taught to make them in three densities, barely thick enough to cover the back of a spoon, the middle way; creamy and coating and finally almost stiff enough to stand the spoon in. This option was to use as a binder for rissoles and the like.

I can't bring myself to laboriously write out the recipe, there are plenty of options on the web or in your favourite beginners cookery book but don't be afraid to use a balloon whisk if things start to go lumpy and do make sure the flour is properly cooked through.

onnaplate

2 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Parsley sauce is one on my faves - those veggies look delish.

Johanna GGG said...

I took get a bit over familiar with roux and don't make it much but pouring it over vegies sounds excellent esp with parsley