Monday, October 24, 2011

Supper Club Tests #4

aubergine steak

I'm not really trialling the griddled aubergine steaks for the Supper Club but the rich red wine sauce that goes with them. Onions and mushrooms are cooked together in olive oil until they are richly caramelised, red wine is added, a big glassful, to deglaze the pan and to add fruity acids of its own. More stock, seasonings and some sweetness in the form of redcurrant jelly or brown sugar enhances the flavours and then the whole pot full is allowed to simmer and thicken.

It tasted good but as you can see from the picture it needs to be sieved before serving to remove the slightly unsightly gribbly bits and possibly thickened in the classic manner with a beurre manié (suitably veganised of course).

3 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

I gave you an award
http://heathenandvegan.blogspot.com/
<:-)

Tea and Sympatico said...

sounds delicious! I wish the supper club was coming to Manchester!

Catofstripes said...

Eeeek an award! expect me to go into hiding for a week while I sort out my onward path!

I wish the supper club was coming to Manchester too, maybe next year. In the meantime there is a very successful Indian supper club there, http://spiceclubmanchester.com/ who aren't vegan but might well be able to provide vegan meals if you asked them.