Thursday, October 06, 2011

Supper Club Tests #2

You know, I really, really don't like the new editor software in blogger. I think I might change back to the old style if it's still possible.

Anyway, today I was messing about in the kitchen trying out a few ideas that I thought were simple no-brainers that would just work and which turned out to be roads to ruination and despair. That's why testing recipes is so important.

teppanyaki marrow

First up, some griddled marrow in teppanyaki sauce. So simple, but although the Mr. enjoyed his portion I ended up feeling rather nauseous. This method was intended to be used to make a starter salad but I think I'm going to give it a miss. Even if I enjoyed the taste I think cooking it for 12 diners would be stretching my endurance at the start of a long evening.

crackers

After that, I moved on to attacking some simple sesame crackers, destined to be eaten with a paté. I've made these before quite successfully but created by the power of random additions. Today's testing was to try for something reliably reproducible with no nasty surprises at serving time. Trouble is, last time I made them I had a pasta maker to roll the paste thinly and evenly and a properly temperature controlled electric oven instead of my temperamental gas oven here. I made two batches, one with more oil than the other. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which ones tasted nicest but neither recipe was quite what I was looking for. More work needed.

Imam Bayildi

And finally, lunch! This could hardly go wrong, garlicky, tomatoey Imam Bayildi. It was good, but needed more oil, which I would probably have added if I hadn't been feeling so disgusted with the griddled marrow. It's not easy being me.

4 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

It took me a while to get used to the new blogger interface but I LOVE it now, so much better than the old one which you can still use but you might as well bite the bullet 'cos they will be getting rid of that option soon. Give it to the end of MoFo and you'll love it. If not I'll send you cookies.
:-)

Vegan Fazool said...

Did you somehow make a vegan version of marrow or is that real bone marrow? Not trying to be fresh, really just wondering.

And what is the new blogger interface? I still have the same old one, and haven't noticed any differences...I don't think!

Happy MoFoing!

Vegan Fazool said...

Ha! I just realized that is the marrow that is related to zucchini, right? Definitely a vegetable.

It really really looked like bone marrow in that picture! Then with your comment that it made you nauseas, wow, I was really wondering...

Convincing :-) Good Halloween trick!

<3 VF

Catofstripes said...

Jeni, send cookies now! I have been trying with editor for a while and it's just not working for me. Getting white space is important and I hate the way it messes with my HTML for no apparent reason. And when I switched back Google asked for feedback and crashed before they'd read it. Gah! But thanks for reading :) and sorry for the rant.

Dawn, yep, you got it, vegetable marrow. The recipe is really intended for something like butternut squash so I'll have to try again but marrow/courgette/zucchini, just say no.