Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Chestnuts roasting


Chestnuts1

October is the month when our sweet chestnut trees shower us with nuts. Yesterday we gathered a huge bag full and there are plenty more to come. If you can find a tree to forage from take strong gloves as the spiny husks will prickle your fingers cruelly. Discard any nuts that are not plump and full in their chestnut coats and watch out for any that have tiny holes in them, they will be maggoty. When you get your harvest home dump the lot in a big bowl of water and throw away the ones that float, they are probably maggoty or rotten too. After an hour, drain the water away and let the good nuts dry. Then store in a plastic bag in the fridge. They will keep for a few weeks but check for moulding and remove anything nasty as needed.

Chestnuts are really useful in a vegan diet, tasty and starchy, they are great for making nut loaves, burgers or cooked with rice. They're also a traditional street food of the English, roasted over charcoal and served in
paper cones on frosty days.

Unfortunately this Dickensian image is more or less a memory in most parts of the country now although I think some are still available in London, presumably for the tourists.

I intend to dry most of our collection for our winter stores but we had to have some straight away. It's easier to cook them in an oven than over a open fire. Make a slit or peel a little skin on each nut, this is to stop it exploding during baking, and roast / bake in a hot oven for 45 minutes or so until the nut swells up and becomes tender and fragrant. Eat with a little salt and some sweet wine.


Chestnuts2

4 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

What beautiful chestnut photographs!

The only time I've ever roasted chestnuts at home, they exploded! Really. Not all of them, but enough to make a big mess in my toaster oven. I had a laugh remembering that while reading your post.

Barhocker-Blog said...

Hello!

I just found your blog ny surfing through blogger.com. And your blog post inspired me hugely! Its awesome what you're cooking and how. I wish I had the time to cook such things myselfe.

I hope you keep blogging, it is very cool and interesting!!

x said...

Gorgeous! I love roasted chestnuts but I hardly ever make them

Z said...

Coldandsleepy, you have to pierce the skins thoroughly. I use the point of a sharp knife to make a good slit and I've never had one explode. The first time my husband (before I'd met him) baked a potato he didn't pierce it first and he had a lot of oven-cleaning to do.