Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Bowl of Soup for one

I'm so excited, Mr. Stripey Cat and one of the Kittens are on their way over to see me even as I write. I'm almost too excited to eat but wanted to show off the wonderful crops we've been getting from the vegetable patches and avoid having a lot of leftovers because my boys aren't going to want to eat scraps when they get here.

So I've tried to portion vegetables for just one bowl.

ingredients

Needless to say I didn't really succeed, I have enough soup for 3 people at least from that lot. Starting at the left and going clockwise there are; Potatoes, shallots, pumpkin shoots, carrots, courgette, tomato, french beans (three types!), then continuing around next to the potatoes are ulluco greens, magentaspreen, runner beans, peas and broad beans. Not pictured, garlic, coriander, parsley, basil and a bay leaf. Apart from the olive oil (and how I wish I could grow olives here) and the salt and pepper, all grown on the farm.

Not so much of a recipe as an agglomeration. Sweat shallots and garlic in a little oil, add all the rest of the vegetables prepared in small pieces except the greens and tomato, cover with water or light vegetable stock (water is good). Pop in a bay leaf and let simmer for 10 minutes until everything is cooked. Add the greens, green herbs and tomato. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper and simmer for a few minutes longer for the greens to wilt.

Serve with crusty bread.

summer soup

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the best possible way of eating.I love the transformation of the tray of vegetables to the bowl of soup. Made me think that the best things are simple.
Lovely post Stripey Cat!
One thing though - why didnt you make a face out of the veg before and send us a pic as we are running a vegetable face competition....
Love
Charlotte
xx