Monday, August 04, 2008

Habas Fritas

habas fritas

I had the deep fat fryer out today to make a whimsy for the other blog, brightly coloured crisps from the blue and red coloured heritage potato varieties we've grown this year. And since the oil was hot, there seemed no reason not to make another snack food more popular around the Mediterranean and Middle East than Europe; crispy seasoned broad beans. This is the way to use up those fully mature broad beans where even shelling and skinning appears inadequate as a preparation for enjoyable eating.

You can, if you're lucky, find these as a ready made bagged snack from Turkey or the Lebanon. They can be bought as a tapas dish sometimes in Spain. I noticed several suppliers offering them via mail order over the internet but nobody seems to have mentioned how easy they are to make at home.

Take the biggest oldest broad bean pods for this dish and pod them. Then spend a pleasant while in the shade carefully peeling each seed to reveal the chunky cotyledons inside. Pull the two halves apart and when you have sufficient for your needs spread them out in a single layer and allow them to dry in the sun for an hour or two.

I have made this starting with dried peeled split broad beans, soaked for six hours and then laid out to dry. It works but this is better, and unless you are very fortunate you won't be able to get dried peeled split broad beans any more easily than over-mature pods. Entirely dry beans won't peel. Save these for seed for next year's snack.

Heat a pan of oil to nearly very hot. Now, I can't emphasise too much how careful you need to be near hot oil. Don't leave the room, don't overfill the pan (about a third of the depth is plenty), have a fire blanket handy and know what to do.

The heat you need should be sufficient that when you add a small cube of bread to the oil it sizzles gently and comes to the surface. Any smoke or haze turn off the heat immediately and retire to a safe distance while it cools.

I hope I haven't frightened you but I still have the scars from a fire when I was very young and I think it's important people are warned to take care.

O.k. let's continue...

Add your very dry split beans to the pan and fry for a few minutes until they rise to the surface and start to colour a little. Drain, dry on some paper towels in a warm place for few minutes, salt (or season to taste with pepper, chilli flakes etc) and serve. Alternatively you can toss the dried bean halves in a little oil and seasonings and just bake them in the oven for 20 minutes or so. I'm sure that would work but I had a hot chip pan and I wanted to use it. It's too hot for the oven at the moment and I can't spare the gas.

Now, I was a wuss, the beans foamed and frothed a good deal more than I was expecting today so I turned off the heat, let them cook a while and them removed them to a tray in a hot oven for 10 minutes to finish cooking. I don't really think that was necessary but it's been a long hard week and my confidence is low.

If you need to store them allow to cool fully and then put away in an airtight container but this is very unlikely to ever happen.

Since I ate so much fried stuff today my supper was a very simple vegetable broth, not worth photographing so lets finish up with some of those home made crisps.

Pretty colours

11 comments:

TheDissonantBoy said...

These sound absolutely delicious! And thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

I don't eat ANYTHING that is fried. That is why I have an hour-glass figure, and why I am so beautiful.

Louise, ("Chiff0nade")
Senior Adviser, SeriousEats Website

Anonymous said...

Those look awesome. I am going to have to try this. We just had something similar as a bar snack at a trendy place in Brooklyn, but they use chick peas. Love this idea!

Madeline said...

These look delicious! That's a great idea.

Lori said...

They bake chick peas too. Roasted with spices. This broadens the idea. Good thinking.

Catofstripes said...

Thanks everyone, hope you'll enjoy them.

Louise, you are an inspiration to us all but if we all do as you do, well, the world would just explode from too much beauty! :-)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These look so delicious I want to reach out and grab some.

I used to be able to find fried broad beans packaged as a snack. They were fried and had a spicy, salty seasoning on them. I usually would eat them by the bagful.

Catofstripes said...

Eatingclub - Thanks. These are very like the ones you can buy and I ate the lot, all by myself! I've never seen them in France but they are available in most of the ethnic shops in South London, not that that will help you much :-)

Anonymous said...

My wife and I got hooked on these on our honeymoon in Cusco,Peru.

Thanks so much!

Catofstripes said...

Anonymous, you're welcome.

Anonymous said...

At two English pounds per bag your recipe has saved me a fortune !
Love the colours of yr potato crisps.
Thanx
Welshlass