Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Keeping it Red

beetleaf pullau
Beetleaf Pullau

I wasn't entirely sure that I'd share this dish on the blog, it was an experiment that I didn't know would work but I would have eaten it anyway, I just wouldn't have talked about it. Anyway, it worked.

The next problem then was what to call it; is it a pullau or a biriani or an Indian inspired risotto? I've settled on pullau and I hope that's not too far wrong.

Melt some ghee or vegetable margarine in a saucepan. Fry some spices in it being careful not to burn them. I used a piece of cinnamon bark, a whole dried red chilli, some cumin seeds, some mustard seeds, ground black pepper and a teaspoon full of rather mild French curry powder, mostly turmeric. I forgot to add garlic or onion, and didn't have any hing either but one or other of these things would be a good addition. Add three small handfuls of basmati rice and stir it around in the warmed spices, then add water, about 500ml but it depends how much rice you have. Give everything a good stir and bring to a simmer.

Wash a huge handful of beet greens (the tops from beetroots) and pick them over carefully for dead and decaying leaves, then chop them quite finely and add to the pot. Stir everything up again and keep on a low heat until the rice has cooked, the greens are cooked and most of the moisture has disappeared. You will have a brilliant coloured one pot meal. Season to taste with salt and add some finely chopped green coriander leaf.

Serve with a chopped tomato and onion salad and a dollop of yoghurt.

kissel
Kissel

When I made this pudding last week I was so taken with it I had to make more. Luckily the blackberries are abundant at the moment. You could use almost any fruit for this but I think it's a good choice for blackberries because a lot of the pips are removed during cooking.

300g blackberries
400ml water
75g sugar
35-40g cornflour

Rinse the blackberries and put into a pan with the water. Bring gently to a simmer and cook for a few minutes to soften the fruit. Then put fruit and water through a fine mouli mill or sieve to extract all the fruit pulp and juice and leave the seeds behind.

Put the blackberry juice back into a clean pan and add sugar to taste. I think 75g is about right but I like puddings to be sweet. Let the sugar dissolve and the mixture come back to a boil. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water to make sure there are no lumps and then, stirring continuously, pour the cornflour mixture into the blackberries. Mix well, the kissel will thicken. Cook for a couple of minutes more stirring all the time.

Pour the fruit into individual serving dishes (I made eight tiny puddings for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next two days!) or one larger dish. Allow to cool and then chill in the fridge.

Top with thick soya yoghurt, soft brown sugar sprinkled over to taste and decorate with a few more blackberries. It's delicious.

No comments: