Sunday, August 03, 2008

Edible Flowers



A fairly meagre meal today, just my usual simple stew but this time made with flowers. Artichoke flowers.

Although it's nice to boil the flower buds whole and tug away at the leaflets so that the tasty bases can be dipped in dressing and nibbled away the novelty can wear off. With a sharp knife and some patience it's possible to cut away all the ferociously spiky leaves and remove the terrifyingly asphyxiating choke to leave just the heart. Cooked with potatoes these make a delicious light stew.

With my stew I included some Highland Burgundy Red potatoes, onion, broad beans, some tarragon, the juice of a lemon, a splash of red wine, olive oil to soften the onions in and just enough water to cover. At the end of cooking I stirred in a teaspoonful of barley miso.

To serve I used a sprinkle of white pepper, a pinch of salt and few drops of wine vinegar. It doesn't look very beautiful but it tasted marvellous.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a creative stew. I love artichokes in anything, but especially in my mouth!

Anonymous said...

that looks so good!

arlene,
Gig Harbor florist

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Destiny, it's nice to just get straight to the heart without having to work too hard on the plate.