Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wanted

I was going to make hazelnut "sausages" tonight and the reason I haven't is another story that doesn't really fit here so instead I thought I'd write a quick wish list for things missing in my French kitchen that I'm beginning to feel the lack of.

Blender/liquidiser/food processor - now I normally claim these things are not essential because miracles can be achieved with a sharp knife and good technique but for grinding nuts or making breadcrumbs they really are a time saver. Easier to make hummous or felafel mixtures too. I do have a stick blender, a real bargain at 7 euros which whizzes a soup adequately but it's too underpowered to be of use for anything else.

Mandoline - again, a sharp knife will substitute but for making paper thin slices of vegetables a mandoline is essential even if you do have to watch your finger tips like a hawk.

Ice cream maker - I can count on the fingers of two hands the number of times I've actually used my ice cream maker in the UK but suddenly in France it's become a necessary of life, explain that!

Bamboo Steamer Trays and lids - I'm beginning to get tired of fried.

Microplanes - funny how nearly everything comes back to cutting implements. My microplanes are used everyday for grating garlic, ginger, horseradish and I miss them.

Pestle and mortar - maybe if I had a set here I wouldn't miss the food processor so much.

There's more, but that will have to do for now.

Aren't these endives pretty? I hope to do something fantastic with them tomorrow.

rubies in a bowl

No comments: