Thursday, October 02, 2008

Lomo Saltado

It was a comment made on A Vegan called Bacon that started my research into the Peruvian dish, Lomo Saltado. Somehow I'd never come across it before but once I read about it, well, I had to have it.

Lomo means back in Peruvian Spanish and the Peruvians don't really seem to mind what sort of back they make jump* for this dinner although beef is most often mentioned in the literature. So, since they don't mind, I'm not going to retitle this No Lomo Saltado, it's just Lomo Saltado made with a small back of tofu.

Imagine a saucy stir fry rich with tomatoes, onions and herbs mixed with a large portion of chips and served with rice. The gravy from the tofu moistens the chips, the rice stretches everything out so it's not too strong. Isn't that just delicious? You'll be making it for yourself within a week I guarantee.

lomo saltado

I won't give you quantities. This would have been plenty for two served with rice. I didn't have any rice because I'm already overloaded with leftovers but I ate the lot and I may die.

Slice some firm tofu thinly and marinate for half an hour in some soy sauce, a splash of vinegar and a few drops of sesame oil.

Meanwhile make some chips. I made thin french fried style but chunky chips might have been even better. Cook until crisp and then drain well and keep warm.

In a lightly oiled pan sauté some onions, a little garlic and a few cumin seeds. Add the drained strips of tofu and stir fry until the tofu is browning. Add a chopped tomato or two and some finely sliced sweet pepper (I didn't have any and used a handful of immature chillies but make sure they're not too hot if you do this) and stir again, then toss in the rest of the marinade to make a sauce. Stir in some chopped green herbs, parsley and coriander to taste. If it's a bit dry add some water, tomato juice, ketchup diluted with water, whatever to make sure there are few spoonsful of sauce lapping around the tofu and vegetables.

Pile your chips on a plate, top with tofu stir fry and pop a portion of white rice on the side. Total gratification will be yours.

*Originally in this post I had misremembered the name as Lomo Saltando, Jumping Back. In my mind that seemed quite reasonable, like a French Sauté. After I checked, nothing makes sense any more but see Soja's comment which explains everything!

6 comments:

Soja said...

This looks tasty! I lived in Peru for a while, and ate plenty of vegan versions of this dish. The non-vegan version was always made with beef in Peru and lomo (only ever referring to the back of an animal) was always beef, whereas in Spain lomo refers to pork. The dish is "lomo saltado" (saltado= savoury, lit. salty), not lomo saltando - that would be jumping! ;-) And the chips were always thin - just like yours. :-)

Catofstripes said...

Ha! I had just changed the spelling! Just before your comment arrived, honest :)

I thought lomo was pork, which is why I spent a bit of time looking it up. Peruvian Spanish is weird.

Soja said...

Hee hee, yes, though I found Peruvian Spanish easier after a while - but some of the differences are awkward, I stunned at Peruvian friend by asking after her marido - in Spain this is the standard, proper word for husband..in Peru it's more lover/bit on the side!

I have a Peruvian cook book if you are interested in any other recipes. I ate a lot of vegan ceviche too, made with mushrooms or tofu instead of raw seafood.

Catofstripes said...

I am quite jealous of your time in Peru, one of the few countries I would like to visit, although mainly for the botany, not the food!

I'm always interested in recipes, proper Peruvian ones would be fascinating.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! And your fries are so thin & crispy looking, yum!

Catofstripes said...

Thanks Shellyfish. I had to stop eating for a day afterwards though, I was so full up!